Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich

On Mother's Day I was in charge of dinner for my husbands side of the family.  I wanted something easy and that I could do in the crock pot.  I knew I would not have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen that day.  You may have noticed that I really love the crock pot.  Anyway, we recently ate at a very yummy place called DP Cheese Steaks.  If you have one around I highly recommend it.  This was my first experience eating a cheese steak sandwich.  So after that I kept craving another yummy cheese steak sandwich.  I knew that a lot of the people in my hubby's family are fans of them too so I decided I was going to make my own version of it for Mother's Day.  Now, I'm sure there are more amazing recipes then this one, but I got great reviews from my family, they loved it, and they love cheese steak sandwiches. So here it is:

What You Will Need:

Beef Roast (sounds weird I know, but I thought it would be cheaper and go further than actual steak)
Can of Beef Broth
Pepper
Garlic or Garlic Salt
Green Pepper
Onion
Hogie Buns
Cheese (we used provolone and cheese whiz.  A true Philly Cheese has cheese whiz)

1.Pour your beef broth in the crock pot. 

2. Season your roast with the pepper and Garlic.  I love to cook with fresh garlic but I actually used garlic salt this time and it was just fine.  I rubbed the pepper and garlic salt in well, all over the roast before I put it into the crock pot.

3.  Cook on low 7 to 8 hours.

4.  Once done, pull the roast out, and shred the meat.  I strained the fat and everything off of the broth and put some back in the crock pot.  I then put the shredded meat back into the crock pot to cook a little more, but I don't think that part is to crucial.  

5.  Dice your onions and green peppers.  I sauteed them in some olive oil in a skillet together, to serve with the meat, since not everyone likes peppers and onions.  You could very easily dice them and add them into the slow cooker with the roast back on step 2 though.

6.  You could toast your hogie buns if you want or leave them as is.  Let everyone make their own sandwich to their liking and enjoy.  I know my family did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment